Behind the Fence

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Herb Garden




This past winter took its toll on the herb garden. My tender perennials didn’t make it through the extreme low temperatures. Although it was covered, I lost a 7-year old rosemary tree in addition to 3 of my lavender plants.
 






I thought the tarragon was gone, but found a sprig still living.

 



 
 
 
The sage and oregano survived but were stunned. Fortunately for the bees, the creeping thyme and bee balm in the potager were not affected by the harsh winter. Nor did it stun the weeds!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A redo was in order.


After pulling all the weeds (and applying a little weed killer to the stubborn Bermuda grass,) I put compost with worm castings around the existing plants.


 
I placed a pretty little bird bath where the rosemary stood.
Replaced the faded “Herb Garden” sign; to see how I made this sign, click here,
 
and planted basil in a pot.

Thursday I hope to find rosemary and lavender at the Purchase Area Master Gardeners Association Herb Appeal plant sale.

Herb Appeal is an annual luncheon focused on herbs. Under the direction of Laura Duff, of A Pampered Palate, Master Gardeners prepared a menu using herbs in every course. Keynote speaker, Marcy Snodgrass of 3 HeartsYoga and Juice Bar will speak on “Healthy Living with Herbs.” I will conclude the program by offering tips on growing herbs. I will share my tips next week on this blog.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment