Behind the Fence

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Savannah Botanical Garden

One of my favorite things to do when traveling is to seek out botanical gardens and garden shops. Accompanying my husband on a business trip to Savannah this week I found the Savannah Area Council of Garden Clubs, Inc. Botanical Garden. It was certainly worth the bit of adventure to find it.


Checking with the concierge at the Hyatt, I was told I could take bus #28, get off at Waters and Eisenhower, the garden would be a short distance down Eisenhower. I made my way over to the bus stop in front of the Panera coffee shop. The bus driver confirmed #28 would take me to Eisenhower but it would be quite a walk to the botanical garden. Being a walker with a decent fitness level, that wasn’t a deterrent. What the concierge and bus driver neglected to tell me, there is not a side walk along Eisenhower (at least not on the side of the busy highway I needed to be on.) The seven blocks was nicely mowed grass and not a bad walk.

Arriving at the garden I was greeted by a friendly feline, no one else was around. The gates were open so I strolled along the paths, enjoying the beautiful roses. Before long I was joined in the garden with Harry Howard, president of the Savannah Rose Society and a volunteer at the garden. Mr. Howard, an ARS (American Rose Society) Certified Consulting Rosarian, is responsible for several rose gardens in the Savannah area. I felt quite fortunate to have an opportunity to converse with him. He inspired me to try to find a spot in my garden for Louise Estes which recently won Queen of the Show in Atlanta recently.

Being a truly southern gentleman, Mr. Howard gave me a ride back to the bus stop.




                           

No comments:

Post a Comment